Premises Liability and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

November 1, 2016 — by Mark T. Flickinger, JD
Tags: Premises Liability Personal Injury

A figurine of Lady JusticeHousehold gas appliances, like furnaces, stoves, and gas heaters, can pose a serious threat to you and your loved ones. If not properly installed or maintained, these appliances can leak carbon monoxide into your home, potentially poisoning you and your family. If you've suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, you may be entitled to compensation. Premises liability lawsuits can help recover lost wages and medical costs incurred as a result of injuries caused by negligent property owners. To find out if you have a premises liability and carbon monoxide poisoning case, contact Provo, UT law firm Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that is both colorless and odorless. If breathed by people or animals, carbon monoxide can have dangerous effects. Carbon monoxide interferes with the blood's ability to carry oxygen, which is essential for cellular function and health. With prolonged exposure, carbon monoxide can poison the body, interfering with organ function. It also has the potential to be fatal. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fainting

Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide Gas

Carbon monoxide can escape from a number of household appliances. Some of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home include:

  • Gas or kerosene space heaters
  • Gas stoves
  • Gas water heaters
  • Wood stoves and fireplaces
  • Gasoline powered equipment, such as generators
  • Leaking chimneys and furnaces
  • Furnace backdrafting
  • Car exhaust from attached garages

Who Is Responsible?

According to premises liability law, property owners are responsible for the safety of renters and visitors on their property. Carbon monoxide levels and appliances that can release carbon monoxide should be routinely checked. Anytime carbon monoxide detectors go off, it is critical that any source of carbon monoxide be addressed immediately in order to avoid serious harm to those exposed. With that said, appliances purchased by a tenant are typically the tenant's responsibility. However, a property owner should provide annual safety checks of flues, valves, piping, and appliances that are a part of their property. Property owners are encouraged to install carbon monoxide detectors to keep their tenants safe. If you're a renter and don't have a carbon monoxide detector, ask your landlord to install one or purchase one yourself for the safety of you and your family.

What to Do if You're a Victim of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Premises liability laws hold property owners responsible for the safety of those on their property. This means property owners can be held responsible for injuries caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. If you or a loved one has been a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning due to the negligence of a property owner, there may be grounds for a premises liability case. If there is a legitimate case, our premises liability attorneys can help recover medical costs, lost wages, and other damages for the victims of negligent property owners.

Contact the Attorneys of Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton

If you have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of your landlord's negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills and other damages. For more information about your legal rights, we encourage you to contact our premises liability attorneys today.